Development Permits: an approved development permit is required for any development in the M.D. of Smoky River prior to any construction.  Permits may not be required for certain developments; however, the development must still conform to the Land Use Bylaw (ie: setbacks/uses, etc.).  Contact the Development Officer to ensure conformity.

The Development Officer may set conditions of approval for a Development Permit Application on land which is considered environmentally sensitive, and/or floodprone.

It is the applicant’s responsibility to obtain all other necessary permits, including but not limited to services such as gas, plumbing, power, water, possibly private sewage that are required for the development.  These permits ensure that your construction is done in accordance with Provincial codes and the Safety Codes Act.  Superior Safety Codes Inc. is an accredited agency authorized by Alberta Municipal Affairs that is accountable to issue the above permits for the M.D. of Smoky River No. 130.  Permits are available at or by calling the Edmonton branch at 1-866-999-4777.

Alberta Safety Codes Authority (ASCA) permit fees, permit applications, and permit application guidelines.

 List of agencies that provide safety codes permitting and inspections.

 Safety Tips- This information can be helpful to permit applicants.

Safety Tips – Safety Codes Council

 Application for Permit: Application is to be submitted to the Development Officer on FORM A Development Permit and accompanied by a non-refundable application fee as passed by Council.  The Development permit application form can be email to the Development Officer and the fee may be processed electronically.  The Development Officer may require additional information to accompany the original permit application.  Once all the required information is submitted, the Development Officer will then deem the application complete.  Time limits are outlined on the permit application form.

We encourage you to contact the Development Officer, prior to applying to verify what type of additional information may be required.

The Development Officer shall make a decision on an application for development permit within forty (40) days of the receipt of the application in its final form.   A Development Permit does not become valid until twenty-one (21) days after the date of decision is given as this period allows for any affected individuals to file any appeals.

New Home Warranty – required for all new residential building permits: The New Home Buyer Protection Act (NHBPA) came into effect February 1, 2014.  Under the NHBPA, a building permit cannot be issued to a developer/ratepayer unless appropriate warranty coverage, or an authorization for exemption from coverage, requirement is in place on the property.  In addition, this legislation also applies to duplexes, multi-family homes, condominiums, substantial reconstruction as well as manufactured homes (includes modular, ready to move, etc…).  More information about NHBPA can be obtained from our office or by calling the Municipal Affairs Public Safety Division at 1-866-421-6929 or visit their website at

The Appeal Process: A decision on a development permit application may be appealed by the applicant or an appellant on FORM C Notice of Appeal.  The appeal shall include the fee ($500.00) for submitting an appeal.  This appeal shall be delivered either in person or by registered mail so as to reach him/her no later than twenty-one (21) days following the date of issue of the notice.

Within thirty (30) days of receiving a written notice of an appeal, the Board shall hold a public hearing.  Upon conclusion of a hearing, the Board shall deliberate and reach its decision in private.  The Board shall give its decision upon an appeal in writing together with reasons for the decision within fifteen (15) days of the conclusion of the hearing.

Subdivisions Applications: Subdivision is the process of dividing a single parcel of land into two or more parcels, each with a separate Certificate of Title.  A registered land or property owner (or their authorized agent) wishing to create two or more lots from a single parcel of land must obtain a subdivision approval prior to subdividing the land.  The Mackenzie Municipal Services Agency (MMSA) is the Subdivision Authority for the M.D. of Smoky River No. 130.  Applicants for subdivision can download the application package, which includes the Subdivision Application Guidelines and Application Form (see below), which are also available on the MMSA website.

Subdivision planning within the M.D. of Smoky River No. 130 is guided by the MGA, the Subdivision Authority Bylaw (which designates MMSA as the subdivision authority for the M.D. of Smoky River No. 130), the Subdivision and Development Regulation, the Land Use Bylaw, any applicable statutory plans, policies, other bylaws, standards and regulations.

Subdivisions & Private Sewage Disposal Systems:  The Alberta Safety Codes Council has adopted the 2015 Standard of Practice pertaining to private sewage disposal systems that are in use and permitted for a single-family residence in the Province of Alberta.  The open discharge system (pump outs) that the majority of our residences currently use.  The minimum required setback from a property line for an open discharge system has doubled from 150 feet to 300 feet. There is a 150 foot setback from a residence, farm dugout and a watercourse.  As a result, the minimal parcel size for a single residential parcel has increased to a minimum of 8.5 acres and more, in most cases.  In the case where a subdivision hasn’t been applied for the parcel size is dependent on the location of buildings, water reservoirs, and open discharge in relation to existing or future property lines.  Pre-planning a subdivision prior to submitting the application is strongly recommended for either a farmstead separation or a first parcel out.  Failure in pre-planning can substantially add to the cost of the development.  There are several approved methods of treating effluent from rural residences that reduces property line setbacks, all of which are included in the 2015 Standard of Practice.

Letter of Compliance:  Where any development has taken place in conformance with a development permit, and the conditions, if any, attached to the permit has been fulfilled, a Development Officer may issue a Letter of Compliance stating that the development conforms to the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw.

A real property report completed by a qualified land surveyor within the last three years will be required prior to issuing the Letter of Compliance.  If the real property report was completed on said property more than three years ago and no changes have occurred on the property, the Development Officer may use that report, provided a statutory declaration stating that no changes have occurred is provided.

A Letter of Compliance is subject to a fee based on the Rates, Fees & Disbursements Bylaw.