Through unwavering vigilance, rigorous training and unquestionable dedication, the Volunteer Firefighters of the Smoky River Region work to serve and ensure the safety of every person in our community.
Pride, Appreciation, Integrity, Comradery, Compassion and Teamwork is what our organization represents. If you feel you fit this description, we certainly could use a person like you.
Being a Volunteer Firefighter means a new opportunity to help people, to grow and to test oneself.
Answer the Call – Join Today!
For more information, please contact the Fire Chief at (780) 837-0911 or e-mail: email@example.com
Minimum Firefighter Qualifications:
- 18 years of age
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Valid Drivers License (Class 3 or Class 4 with Air Brakes is an Asset)
- No Criminal Record
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1001 Level II Certification (Asset)
- Emergency Medical Responder or Higher Certification (Asset)
- Good Physical Fitness and a pass a job related physical fitness test
- Live in M.D. of Smoky River No. 130 Boundaries
- Satisfactory Medical
The Role of a Firefighter
A fully trained firefighter is a skilled professional who uses modern equipment, methods, and techniques to undertake a range of activities associated with the preservation of life and property.
Each platoon, led by a Fire Officer, works as a team.
A firefighter should have the following characteristics and skills:
- Proven ability to interact positively with team members, customers and those we serve
- The physical strength and capacity for intense and sustained effort
- The ability to carry out orders at emergencies, combined with the capacity to assess and act on his/her own initiative and/or work effectively as a part of a team
- Practical understanding of a wide range of subjects related to fire hazards, including the ability to operate and understand the operation of mechanical equipment
- Concern for the reduction of pain and suffering for victims of emergencies, combined with the personal characteristics including loyalty, dedication and commitment to duty
- The ability to perform firefighting duties during extremely taxing circumstances
- The ability to learn new concepts, teach others, and to continuously improve performance
The M.D. of Smoky River is an equal opportunity employer and selects candidates on the basis of merit. We invite applications from qualified men and women.
Various Steps are followed in selecting applicants for the firefighter position. These take place over a number of weeks and include the following:
- Applications received and processed during the recruitment, as well as those currently on file
- Elimination of applicants that do not meet the minimum requirements
- Personal interview with the hiring board
- Medical Exam
- Security Clearance (Criminal Record) by the RCMP
- Reference Checks