When is the Election?

The Municipal Election is on October 18, 2021 and voting is permitted between the hours of 10:00 am and 8:00 pm.

There are advance polls on October 14th, 2021 between the hours of 10:00 am and 4:00 pm at MD of Smoky River No. 130 Administration Office, 701 Main Street, Falher, AB

Who are the Candidates?

Division 1
Donald Gosselin (incumbent)
Paula Guindon

Division 2
Raoul Johnson (incumbent)
Raymond Desaulniers

Division 3
Alain Blanchette
Gilles Sylvain
Jason Dolhan

Division 4
Gilles Roy
Karin Scholl
Ron Desaulniers

Division 5
Robert Brochu (incumbent)
Marc Michaud

Division 6
Andre Trudeau (incumbent)
Jeremie Turcotte
Leo Simard

Where can I vote?

You can vote at the following locations.:

Division 1 – Guy Community Hall, 52st Guy, AB
Division 2 – Little Smoky Ski Area Chalet, 74518A, RR214, SE 4-74-21-W5
Division 3 – Girouxville Community Hall, 5012 48 ave, Girouxville, AB
Division 4 – MD of Smoky River No. 130 Administration Office, 701 Main Street, Falher
Division 5 – McLennan Golden Age Club, 10 – 3rd ave NE, McLennan, AB
Division 6 – Jean Cote Community Hall, 4902 50 ave, Jean Cote, AB

Who can vote?

You are eligible to vote in the municipal election if you are:

  • at least 18 years old,
  • a Canadian Citizen, and
  • A resident of Alberta and your place of residence is located in the Municipal District of Smoky River No.130 on Election Day.

Will I be required to provide proof of vaccination to vote?

No, you will not be required to provide proof of vaccination however, you WILL be required to wear a mask.

Can I bring my own pen or pencil?
Yes, it is recommended you bring your own pen or pencil however, some will be available at the voting stations.

Do I need ID?

Yes, proof of identity and current residence is required to be able to vote. Any of the following documents that have your name and address on it will be accepted as valid proof:

  • Operator/Driver’s license
  • Government photo identification card (for non-drivers)
  • Proof of Identity and Ordinary Residence issued by the authorized representative of a First Nations band or reserve.
  • Bank/Credit card statement or personal cheque
  • Government cheque or cheque stub

For additional proof of residency information, visit: https://open.alberta.ca/publications/voter-identification-requirements

I live in the MD but don’t have any documentation with my legal address, can I still vote?
Yes, if your identification shows a post office box number as the address instead of a residential or legal address, it can be accepted as verification of current address if it is in reasonable distance to the voting jurisdiction. However, look at utility bills as those often have legal addresses.

If you don’t have any bills in your name or a driver’s license – someone can vouch for you. The person vouching must make a statement and sign a form saying they know you, know where you live and that you are eligible to vote. A person can only vouch for one other person UNLESS it is people who all live at the same address. If you have been vouched for, you cannot vouch for someone else.

What ballots will I receive?

You will receive a total of three (3) ballots:

  • Municipal Councillor Ballot – Vote for 1 candidate
  • Referendum Ballot – Yes or No Questions
  • Alberta Senate Election Ballot – Vote for up to 3 senate candidates